Saturday, September 21, 2013

The World's Most Expensive Tomato

Back in the spring I wrote about how I had bought a Veg Trug.  This is basically a bathtub-like trough that has legs and is suitable for growing a reasonably sized elevated garden.  The whole setup including the dirt to fill it cost me about $425.  Add another $50 for the tomato plants, various seeds and food, and we're in about $475.  



Above is a representation of what I "attempted" to grow.  Granted, the season isn't over yet, but I'm unsure as to how the rest will play out with the colder weather we've been getting.  What is out there still may, or may not, make it.  Here is a rundown of how this gardening season went.

  • Planted everything some time in May so we could start harvesting tomatoes in July.
  • Lemon Basil grew quite well and, although interesting, I am not particularly fond of it.  It reminds me of soap.
  • The regular basil (one of my favorite things ever) didn't sprout and was replaced with a grocery store plant in August.
  • Cherry tomatoes started to pop up VERY small and sparse in August.  I occasionally plucked one and ate it out of hand.
  • I finally started to see regular tomato blossoms in August.
  • Carrots, although quite small, started breaking the surface in late July.
  • Now in mid-September, I have one billiard ball sized tomato ripening in a paper bag and about 4 others of various sizes on the vine.  To date I haven't eaten a single one.
  • I harvested about 10 oz. of carrots for dinner the other night and about the same of cherry tomatoes two weeks ago for a very nice roasted veg salad.
  • I have about the same amount parsley from both plants than what someone would notice when they point to you and say, "You have something stuck in your teeth."
If I added up the weight of everything I have grown, it will probably yield about 3 pounds of product. That is assuming I can get the tomatoes on the vine to ripen and enjoy them.  That amounts to about $158 per pound.  In other words, FUCKING EXPENSIVE.  

I do think I have figured out the problem and it was all in the soil I bought.  Despite the crack advice from the wiz at Home Depot, the composted organic soil I bought wasn't right.  It needs to be cut with regular soil.  Also, the carrots by the tomatoes are woefully lagging behind those on the opposite end of the trough by the cherry tomatoes and basil.  I will keep them more separated next year.

I know that next year I will get more yield and the bulk of the cost was this season was from the Veg Trug, which I will have for years to come. I can tell you one thing, though.  Ripe or not, I will eat everything that comes out of that damn dirt tub.  Like it...or not.

Cya Sunday,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Exercise ~ Listed first because I got up bright and early and walked the lake with my friend Alex
Breakfast ~ Again, green eggs and ham w/coffee
Lunch ~ Chili
Snack ~ A banana and a Fiber One Bar 
Dinner ~ Rotisserie chicken and sauteed spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment