Saturday, September 7, 2013

Weekend Worrier

My dad used to be in the National Guard. We would often see military trucks on the highways on the weekends and Dad would say "There go the Weekend Warriors!"  I'd never get it right and if I saw them first I'd say "There go the Sunday Sawyers!"  This weekend I realized I may be enlisted as a Weekend Worrier.  Weekends are treacherous in the weight loss realm. Free time on your hands and parties around every corner.

Our neighbors, Noah and Kim, sprung a nice invitation on us to come over for a small BBQ today.  I started to worry.  Could I resist the beer, the chips, the cheese, the salads perhaps laden with mayo?  I did fairly well.  Let's give me a B+.  As it turned out, it was pretty much the four of us for dinner and they did a fine job of providing as hosts.  Just as I would have done, I was offered beer, chips and dip, soda and even some fruit before the grill would be fired up.  I politely declined and explained my final push toward my 50th.  I had water, some melon and two wings that I brought over in the interest of being a good guest. These were roasted, not fried. 

Then when offered the options for the grill, it was Italian sausage or a burger.  Despite my red meat ban, I opted for a plain, bunless burger and VERY small amount of pasta salad that Kim whipped up.  Minus 5 points from the judges on main course choice I made.  Given the options, it was the lesser of evils.  Afterward, Noah brought out jalapeƱo poppers wrapped in bacon, explaining his bumper crop of peppers from the garden and limited options for using them.  Now you could wrap bacon around a turd and I would turn into Pavlov's dog.  It's my kryptonite.  I ate one.  It was divine.  I then moved the platter they were on out of reach.  Minus 10 points from the judges.  Overall, an 85 score in performance.  

I needn't have been too worried, I supposed.  The angst, albeit minor, was on the front end of the soiree.  It was an enjoyable evening and they are such nice and gracious people.  I excused myself before the cake would be served and thanked them for a lovely time.  I explained that I had some walking to do and did just that.  I immediately went for a brisk walk.  Resolve tastes like victory, but it doesn't taste as good as bacon.  Sigh...

Cya tomorrow, 
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast~ A two-egg omelet w/broccoli, onion and garlic. One piece of whole grain toast and my morning coffee. 
Lunch~ A can of Progresso Lite Beef Soup.  Crap!  Red meat again.  Didn't realize until I wrote this. 
Shopping~ I often get a coffee when I grocery shop.  Iced decaf Skinny Caramel Macchiato today. 90 calories. 
Dinner ~ see above
Exercise~ 35 minute brisk walk.  

1 comment: